[Image-SIG] version maze

Chris Cogdon chris at cogdon.org
Thu May 6 15:36:31 EDT 2004

On May 6, 2004, at 12:29, Richard Jennings wrote:

> Since I had to do a manual install, I decided to go for 1.1.4.
> during the build I got a warning:
>
> Tk/tkImaging.c:198: warning: passing arg 3 of `Tcl_CreateCommand' from
> incompatible pointer type

I think the warning can be ignored.

> otherwise everything went well, but when I try to use PIL:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./overTest.py", line 48, in ?
>     overlayUpdate(sys.argv[1], pos)
>   File "./overTest.py", line 19, in overlayUpdate
>     overlay = Image.open(OVERLAY_FILE)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 1549, in
> open
>     preinit()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 243, in
> preinit
>     __import__("%sImagePlugin" % m, globals(), locals(), [])
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages/PIL/GifImagePlugin.py", line
> 53, in ?
>     class GifImageFile(ImageFile.ImageFile):
> AttributeError: 'ImageFile' module has no attribute 'ImageFile'
>
> I don't understand why GIFImagePlugin.py is involved but in any case
> it's hard
> to the see the connection with the compile warning.

I don't think they're related at all.

>  Also, the ImageFile
> module does have an ImageFile attribute!
>
> I found: [Image-SIG] Re: Compile errors May 31 2003
> which talks about hacking Tk code - Ahhhhh, I'm a novice AND I'm not
> convinced
> this will solve my problem.  A year has passed since the posting - is
> there
> an easier solution anybody? Can somebody throw more light on the issue?

Well, you didn't mail the mailing list... so you might want to re-post
the issue there. I don't think it's related to Tk in any way, though.

I *DID find something that is related by doing a google search on
"AttributeError: 'ImageFile' module has no attribute 'ImageFile'"

http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2003-April/134726.html

So... instead of doing:

import Image

try doing:

from PIL import Image

I don't know why that would work while the first would not... but... it
seems to have worked for someone else. It's possible that the python
built into Zope is doing something funky with modules.

You might also want to try a piece of stand-alone code, without Zope,
and see if that works.

--
    ("`-/")_.-'"``-._        Chris Cogdon <chris at cogdon.org>