[Image-SIG] im.save() Jpeg file Quality

Alex Lovering alexander at semel.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Jun 11 17:40:30 EDT 2004

I am trying to create a batch file converter but I am struggling to define the output compression quality of the saved jpeg file:

The PIL Library Overview (1.1.3 March 2002) states on page 21:
    im.save(outfile,format,options)
where the available options are detailed later in the book

The only reference to jpeg file quality is in the open method where there is an option to set 1 - 100 quality default is 75, this can be found on page 68.

I'm not a great programmer and I may be missing something obvious, how do I get a better save quality that 75 on the im.save() method?