[Image-SIG] massrotate in python

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jun 3 14:00:00 EDT 2004

Alexy Khrabrov wrote:
> Greetings -- I'm faced with the simplest task any digital photographer
> needs: rotate vertical jpegs.  There's a program, jpegtran, to do it
> losslessly, and with -copy all it also preserves EXIF data.  So I want
> to use it instead of lossy rotations in xv, ImageMagick, and the like.

I have exactly the same need, and I've found a simple solution. I wrote
a simple python script that uses os.system to call jpegtran to rotate an
image. (actually I have two, one that rotates clockwise one
anti-clockwise). I put these into /usr/local/bin.

I use KDE, so I can use konquorer to view a directory that has images in
  it, and thumbnails are displayed. I have associated the above scripts
with *.jpeg files, so if I right click on an image, I can click the
open-with menu, and get a list of apps, including my two rotating
scripts. It works great.

By the way, I've also got a script that crops an image (using jpegcrop)
to  a 4X6 aspect ratio and sends it off to the printer.

My long term plan is to add this functionality (and others) to Cornice,
a wxPython image viewer, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

http://web.tiscali.it/agriggio/cornice.html

It appears you've had problems with wxPython--what system are you
running, I'm a big fan of wxPython, it should work for you. That's OT
for this list, though.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov