[Image-SIG] Re: (patch) move definition of ImagingObject to Imaging.h

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Jun 2 12:07:28 EDT 2004

Matthias Kramm wrote:

> I'm currently in the process of writing a C Python extension
> which is (among others) able to generate SWF h.263 movies from pictures
> supplied by Imaging.
> (Some first crude examples (together with source) are at the bottom of
>  http://www.quiss.org/swftools/examples.html
> )
>
> The problem I was having was that I need to know the definition
> of ImagingObject in my extension C code- otherwise I can't process the
> Imaging pictures my functions are called with- the relevant
> ImagingObject isn't yet defined in the Imaging.h include file.
> It seems Scencil (former Sketch) has the same problem.

the "official" way to access the Imaging structure is to use a Python
wrapper and the "id" attribute, as discussed here:

    http://www.effbot.org/zone/pil-extending.htm

(this works with all PIL versions since 1996 or so)

> It would be great if this patch could make it into the official
> Imaging distribution.

I'm pretty sure it's done the way it is for a reason, but I don't remember
what it was.  if I cannot figure out it, chances are that this (or something
very similar) will be in 1.1.5.