[Image-SIG] PIL decoders

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sun Jul 18 00:13:50 CEST 2004

On Jul 17, 2004, at 3:04 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> I've written a pure python decoder for (the 24bit RGB and 8bit mask
> resources in) the Mac OS .icns resource format.  The format can
> contain icons and masks of various different sizes and bit depths.  If
> I were to turn this into a PIL decoder, what is the correct way to
> deal with a file that can contain multiple resources?  Should it just
> pick the best representation?
>
> Also, what's the procedure for getting new codecs into the official
> distro of PIL?  I wouldn't mind contributing this one, and I have a
> SoftImage PICT (another lossless RAW/RLE) decoder lying around as well
> that might be useful to someone.
>
> BTW, the SoftImage image format allows for 8 channels (the usual BGRA
> plus shadow, depth, aux1, aux2).  The current decoder just ignores
> them, because I didn't see any good way to get those into PIL (given
> the limited mode choices).  Is there something else I should do with
> them?

If anyone wants them... I just wrote a PIL decoder for the icns format,
took out the Numeric dependency in my Softimage PICT decoder, and
committed them to my public svn repo:

	http://svn.red-bean.com/bob/icns/trunk/
	http://svn.red-bean.com/bob/SoftimageImage/trunk/

Consider them public domain.  However, the test file in icns is
copyright Talking Panda LLC and is used with (my) permission :)

-bob