[Image-SIG] Problems with XpmImagePlugin.py

Douglas Bagnall douglas at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jul 6 15:36:46 CEST 2004

Richard Oudkerk wrote:

> (6) ImageColor.colormap misspells 'lightgray' as 'lightgrey'.  (I
> assume this is a misspelling since it contains 'gray', 'dimgray',
> 'slategray',... but not 'grey', 'dimgrey', 'slategrey',...)

AFAIK, this spelling mixture is very old and has snuck into many realms.
  Netscape borrowed XPM colours for html extensions, whence, for a
while, they entered the CSS standard.  The w3c now accepts either
spelling for any shade of grey, but I think X may be more conservative.

regards,

Douglas Bagnall