[Image-SIG] Manipulating JPEGs w/out decompressing?

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Jan 26 12:54:22 EST 2004

HI all,

is it possible , with {PIL (or any other Python-based tool) to do simple
manipulations to a JPEG, without decompressing it. What I'm imagining is
  simply rotation and cropping, at the moment.

My understanding of JPEG compression is that if you compress and
de-compress multiple times, more information is lost each time. If I
understand this right, it seems a shame to degrade an image just to
rotate or crop it.

As an example, I'm imagining a python version of jpegr jpegtrans/jpegcrop:

http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/

thanks,

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov