[Image-SIG] PIL's configure bug -- from 2002

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Wed Feb 25 15:54:07 EST 2004

> Now maybe my technical point is totally wrong.  But surely the best
> way to prove that is just to show me the file, rather than making
> excuses about why I shouldn't need to see it.  I find the latter
> extremely disconcerting.

Actually, I changed my mind, and think your technical point is rather
good.  I looked at the Makefile and setup.py files for that package,
and I think there are problems with PIL specifically, as well as
problems with the general autoconf system.  Specifically, I think the
standard generated configure program should take two more standard
switches to allow you to specify extra include directories and extra
library directories, and I think that the CFLAGS variable in PIL is
set improperly, and not propagated to the setup.py file.  Not that I
understand the distutils system...

Bill