[Image-SIG] PIL Bug: Crash processing GIF image

Chris Cogdon chris at cogdon.org
Fri Feb 20 02:41:38 EST 2004

I've had cause to run my PIL-based thumbnailing code over the vast
collection of artwork from my community artwork site, and I've
encountered one image that causes PIL/Python to behave very badly. When
doing a 'convert', python will  report a quantization error (if it gets
that far)... but it is also accompanied by either a CPU lock-up, or a
segmentation fault, which makes trapping for exceptions a little tricky
:)

I've tried it with PIL 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 with the same effect, but there
are some system combinations where it actually does not crash, and
instead only reports the quantization error.

I'm reporting the bug here, as suggested by the pythonware people... if
you (pythonware) can peek at it, that would be fantastic :) in the
meantime, I'll just mark that file as 'poison' to my code.

If folk out there can try the sample image and code, and mail me with
your results, plus OS version, python version and PIL version, I'll
collate the results and post a summary here.

Thanks kindly for any attention you can give!

http://onca.catsden.net/~chris/pilbug1/

PS: Yes, I know it's a GIF file, and GIF files are evil. I'm not going
to say "you can't submit GIFs, they're evil" to the thousands of
artists that just aren't that politically inclined :)

--
    ("`-/")_.-'"``-._        Chris Cogdon <chris at cogdon.org>