[Image-SIG] ploting and making images.

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 18 19:40:33 EST 2004

Ertl, John wrote:
> I have been working with Numeric Python for awhile now but now I need to
> make images of gridded weather data...rain amounts, wind speeds and
> directions, etc...

>  I was pointed to PIL but it does not look
> like it would be suited to such things.

no, not really, It's suited to acting as a back-end to a tool that does
such things, but you'll be writting a heck of a lot of code yourself if
you use just PIL.

Check out GMT:
http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/

and it's Python wrappers:
http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/~jsw/python/gmt/

I havn't used them yet, but it sounds like just what you are looking for.

For non-map plotting (histograms, etc.), check out matplotlib:

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov