[Image-SIG] Re: Help wanted: sensible way to scale 16-bit grayscaleimage

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Dec 17 09:07:44 CET 2004

Ray Pasco wrote:
>I believe the response to Russell's question missed the point.  I believe he wants to change the
>dynamic range of his images, not
> produce an image file of a smaller size, which is the primary
> goal of producing a paletted (indexed or gray "L"evel) image.

really?  phrases like "simple image viewer" and "map a high dynamic range image
into 8 bits" seem to indicate that he wants to map 16-bit images into "L" for display
purposes -- which was what I wrote about.

> Examine at each pixel of the original image
> and map its 16-bit value to a (unique) pallette value.  Write that pallete value to the pixel
> value of the new image.

my mail, which you obviously didn't read very carefully, described an *efficient*
way to do this using *existing* PIL mechanisms.