[Image-SIG] Re: Python 2.4 and Windows installer

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sun Dec 12 10:30:01 CET 2004

Eric Pons wrote:

> I tried to use the source but, well, as a beginner, explanations in the README file were not
> enough to proceed correctly and I don't get much results. Am I supposed to run setup.py from a
> particular folder, or should I uncompress the numerous files in the archive in a particular
> location to make them available from my python shell? Should I specify a path somewhere for the PI
> Library?

one would have thought that items 4 and 5 explained that:

    4. When you have everything you need, unpack the PIL distribution
       (the file Imaging-1.1.5b1.tar.gz) in your Python extensions
       directory (if you have one, that is.  If not, feel free to
       unpack it in any other suitable directory).

            $ cd Python-2.3/Extensions # example
            $ gunzip Imaging-1.1.5b1.tar.gz
            $ tar xvf Imaging-1.1.5b1.tar

    5. Build the library.  We recommend that you do an in-place build,
       and run the self test before installing.

            $ cd Imaging-1.1.5b1
            $ python setup.py build_ext -i
            $ python selftest.py

       When the build finishes, a summary report is shown. /.../

how far did you get, and what happened when you got stuck?  (you do have
a C compiler on your machine, right?)