[Image-SIG] PIL problem

Thomas Clive Richards thomi at thomi.imail.net.nz
Sun Aug 15 12:58:55 CEST 2004

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 9:05 pm, rjkimble at comcast.net wrote:
> Here's a curiosity. I played around with your example using my AlphaPC
> running Debian. I get the same results as you with both Python 2.2 and 2.3.
> However, I noticed a trick. I have no idea what's going on, but maybe it's
> a workaround.

hmm... Not sure what you mean by this. WHen I try it:

Python 2.2.3+ (#1, Feb 25 2004, 23:29:31)
[GCC 3.3.3 (Debian)] on linux2
>>> import Image
>>> im = Image.open('title.png')
>>> im2 = im.copy()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 630, in copy
    self.load()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py", line 192, in load
    raise IOError(error + " when reading image file")
IOError: unknown error when reading image file

The file still exists, permissions seem to be okay...

interesting huh?

I probably should have mentioned earlier that this script is running on a lean
server - imagemagick and other utilities I might be able to use aren't
available..

Thanks for the help, I'll see if anyone has any thoughts on this subject over
the next week or so...

--

Thomi Richards,
thomi at once.net.nz