[Image-SIG] Debugging PIL in Win32?

Brendler, Ralph rbrendler at InterfaceSoftware.com
Thu Apr 22 12:24:26 EDT 2004

I am trying to track down a segfault in the Win32 version of PIL while showing group4 TIFF images (Linux works fine).  The stack trace indicates the fault is in the imaging library, but without debug information I am not sure where.

Hence, my issue:  How do I go about creating a debug version of the _imaging module in Win32?  I have tweaked the individual makefiles to get all components compiling for debug in Win32, and it still is having problems.

The PIL code is straight 1.1.4 plus the July patch for Group4 support.  I have built debug versions of Python, Tcl, Tk, libtiff, libjpeg, and zlib, and created _imaging_d and _imagingtk_d libraries that load properly under python_d.

As far as I can tell everything appears to be compiled with the same options, but I am getting an heap validation error (which usually indicates a debug/nondebug difference in libraries) when calling ImagingLibTiffCleanup.

Anyone have any hints, or better yet a working dsw for PIL and all of its components?