[Image-SIG] Re: Hard to OCR Font

Marilyn Davis marilyn at deliberate.com
Fri Apr 16 20:06:41 EDT 2004

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Matthias Urlichs wrote:
>
> > fractured or stencilled letters, being slanted, wavy, on a curved
> > baseline, or otherwise distorted; run a few lines through the text,
> > print two words "almost" on top of each other so that the letters touch,
>
> footnote: you can use im.transform(size, MESH, data) to warp and
> distort text rendered by ImageDraw/ImageFont.

Thank you.  And I'm sorry to be so dense.

As far as I can tell, the only font that I have is a small courier font.

So, to start, I should install a larger font because I do want humans
to read the font?  Is there a suggestion for finding/generating fonts?

I don't see any .pcf files in my system and only one .bdf: vfontcap.bdf.
But when I "pilfont.py vfontcap.bdf", I get a "... failed"

Am I making this too hard?  Should I, instead, enlarge the small
courier font that I get for free?

Thank you for any help.

Marilyn Davis