[Image-SIG] clarification on image segmentation routines

Thas Yuwaraj thas_y@yahoo.ca
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 12:50:44 -0500

Hello,

I have just started getting into PIL as a platform for experimenting with OCR
for a language known as Tamil (a South Indian language).
It appears that PIL does not have any explicit image segmentation (character
segmentation) routines. Before I venture into creating my own set of tools
(as an extension of PIL), could you please let me know if such tools (or any
form of OCR SDK) already exist for Python?
If I'm not mistaken, I could not find morphological filters
(errosion/dialation) in PIL either. But then again, these can be easily
constructed using the kernel-based filtering routine in PIL.

Thank you.

Regards,
Thas