[Image-SIG] decoder jpeg not available

Jay Dorsey python at jaydorsey.com
Tue Jul 8 22:09:04 EDT 2003

I could really use some assitance in troubleshooting this problem.  I'm
using Python 2.3a, PIL 1.1.4 on Solaris 8.  I installed the jpeg
libraries into the default locations (had to compile with
--enable-shared and --enable-static - that threw me off for about an
hour -- I'm not a Solaris guy).  make test worked fine.  I followed the
install instructions in the README file, and used the -fpic flag when
compiling in libImaging.  I've followed the instructions on
http://effbot.org/zone/pil-decoder-jpeg-not-available.htm (twice), with
no luck (Excellent instructions/documentation however).  I do receive
the "checking for jpeg_destroy_compress in _ljpeg... no" message.

I'm able to import _imaging.  Starting with python -v  and doing an

 >>> import Imaging

shows

import _imaging # dynamically loaded from _imaging.so

The only thing I've found that was odd was doing 'ldd _imaging.so'
doesn't show a link to libjpeg.so (or libjpeg.so.62), but I'm not quite
sure if that means anything or not.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

Jay