[Image-SIG] TrueType support in PIL 1.1.4 a1

Frank Derville frank.derville@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 22:46:53 +0100

I have been a long time user of PIL and I appreciate it very much. I use =
it
for auto labelling of pictures and make town maps
(http://art-nouveau.kubos.org/en/index.htm). The new
truetype support is great but it seems to be broken with special characte=
rs
like =E9,=E8,=FC, © .... they appear as squares in PIL although in m=
favourite
word processor they are OK with the same tt font.

Another (but aesthetic problem) is that when displaying a sentence, PIL
sometimes
hide some parts on the left of some chars, as if in the text display
algorythm, the chars were
written one by one, backwards, and not with a transparent background (whi=
ch
seems
to me is the problem).

Am I wrong? Hope this helps to improve PIL.

Regards
Frank