[Image-SIG] BMP Palettes

Rob Myroon robmyroon@yahoo.com
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 12:38:26 -0800 (PST)

Hi Thomi,

I am not an expert at this but I don't think PIL can
convert an 8 bit bmp to a 24 bit bmp.  (Never mind the
part about giving one bmp another bmp's palette.)

Also, the 8-bit bmp has a palette of colors.  The 24
bit bmp does not have a palette.  The 24 bit bmp
stores the color of each pixel.

If you use Windows ... I know of a program called
nconvert.exe that will convert 24 bit bmps to 8 bit
bmps and keep all of the colors intact.  If you try
this in mspaint it won't keep the proper colors.

I can send you my copy of nconvert.exe if you want.

Or you could write Python code to create an 8 bit bmp
yourself. The bmp format is not complicated. Check out
the source of BmpImagePlugin.py.

Rob Myroon