[Image-SIG] SPAM/Filters not useless

Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG keenwa@eglin.af.mil
Fri, 24 May 2002 11:15:56 -0500

I read / post to about half a dozen mailing lists.  All of them have SPAM
that leaks through.
What leaks though though is usually a small fraction of what they get bombed
with.
The filtering used is not perfect, but far from useless.

By the way, on another mailing list, there was a post some time ago from one
of the
maintainers that he was going to be modifying the filters, and that some
legitimate
posters might have some problems getting through.  That led to an
interesting
exchange about weighing the "rights" of the poster versus the avoidance of
SPAM.

If the volume of mail is a problem, you might do what I do, and read the
material
through the archives. (I guess that qualifies me as a lurker or some other
form
of low life form----I'm sure my wife would agree with that assessment)

Wayne Keen