[Image-SIG] Installing PIL on Windows

Gary Speer gspeer@cortech.org
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 11:31:24 -0700

Thank you all for trying to clear this up.

Lennart cleared the fog concerning how to reposition the PIL files from a PY
install where Zope will see them.

Fredrik explained why precise major/minor revision matching is important.
Specifically PIL 1.1.2's _imaging.pyc will not execute under Python 2.2.1 as
it was compiled under Python 2.1.1  Here's the mismatch:

The current Zope release is 2.5.1, built on Python 2.2.1.
Lennart pointed me to the latest pythonware bundle, PY21 that is PIL 1.1.2
on Python 2.1.1
The latest PIL release is 1.1.3 which says it is tested and will run on
Python 2.2x
Unfortunately the PIL 1.1.3 at Pythonware is uncompiled and I do not have a
C compiler.

So now I clearly understand I have to precisely ask if anyone has PIL 1.1.3
compiled for windows as it seems that is the only version that will execute
correctly in the current version of Zope.  The 1.1.3 download has all of the
ancillary files, but not the compiled files like _imaging.pyc

Fredrik - Perhaps you might update the FAQ to point out that this is the
most likely cause of error for new users until Pythonware releases a
compiled version of 1.1.3

Hope somehone can help.  Thank you for the great explainations!
Gary