[Image-SIG] Python Imaging Library

Roach, Mark R. mrroach@uhg.net
08 Jul 2002 10:21:48 -0500

On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 09:46, Serpil Dogan wrote:
> Dear sirs,
> We are looking for an imaging library for our conversion purposes. PIL seems to be appropriate solution to us. However let us clear some additional points on PIL :
> 1. Which platforms PIL support ? (Windows, Solaris,...)
The website (http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/index.htm) indicates
support for windows and Unixes not sure about macos

> 2. What are media formats supported by PIL? Because we require conversion between image formats(jpeg, gif,...), audio formats(mp3, amr,...) and media formats(mpeg,...)Could you clarify the PIL supported formats?

This _Imaging_ library supports image formats only, not audio or video
look here for supported formats (again, on the product's website)
http://www.pythonware.com/library/pil/handbook/image-file-formats.htm

> 3. Which languages support usage of PIL? To develop our own conversion application, what is the best language to use PIL?

PIL is the _Python_ Imaging Library, soooo...

-Mark Roach