[Image-SIG] problem decoding JPEG files on freshly built PIL 1.1.2 on BSD unix

Eric Woudenberg eaw@connactivity.connactivity.com
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 23:40:01 -0500

Hi,

I'm using PIL 1.1.2 happily under Windows to produce thumbnails from
.gif and .jpeg files. The final app must run under BSDI4.0. I rebuilt
PIL from sources, also built Jpeg-6b and zlib-1.1.3. Everything built
and passed tests (PIL passed up to the point where the image was
trying to be displayed -- I don't have a screen on this machine):

mook:~/src/Imaging-1.1.2/libImaging $ make check
./coretest
>>> processing lena.ppm...
>>> elapsed time: 10
>>> as far as we tested, everything seems to be ok...
xv test.ppm
xv: Can't open display
*** Error code 1 (ignored)

But when I use it, I always get an error that it couldn't decode the file:

mook:~/src/Imaging-1.1.2/Images $ python
Python 2.2 (#5, Jan 27 2002, 22:13:28)
[GCC 2.7.2.1] on bsdos4
>>> import Image
>>> a=Image.open('lena.jpg')
>>> a.getbbox()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/home/minidisc/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 514, in getbbox
    self.load()
  File "/home/minidisc/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py", line 166, in load
    raise IOError, "decoder error %d when reading image file" % e
IOError: decoder error -2 when reading image file

Any ideas? My impression was that this should "just work", given that
it all works so nicely under windows.

The Jpeg decoder is being built in (from ImConfig.h):

/* Define if you have the IJG jpeg library (-ljpeg).  */
#define HAVE_LIBJPEG 1

GIF files seem to work okay.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Eric Woudenberg