[Image-SIG] 16 bit TIFF's, SAMPLEFORMAT tag

Bob Klimek klimek@grc.nasa.gov
Tue, 29 May 2001 13:40:07 -0400

This (16-bit) is a capability would be useful for me too, but one reason I
believe why this is not implemented is that rest of PIL supports only 8-bit
grayscale or 24-bit color images. Many of the filtering routines (at least
last time I checked) were hard coded for 8-bit images. As such it would be
incompatible with rest of PIL. My guess, anyway.

Bob