[Image-SIG] Compression for TIF files

Kevin.Cazabon@gretag.com Kevin.Cazabon@gretag.com
Tue, 22 May 2001 12:30:01 -0600

I believe that the reason that PIL doesn't include LZW compression is a=

licensing issue... LZW must be licensed for "encoding", but not for
"decoding" (I think), similar to GIF.  LZW is the only common compressi=
on
scheme for TIFF, although not the only one.  TIFF also supports JPEG
compression, however it's not widely supported by other applications (s=
uch
as Photoshop), so there hasn't been a big push to implement it.

Sorry... not very helpful I know.

Kevin Cazabon

                                                                       =
                                           =20
                    "Ben                                               =
                                           =20
                    Catanzariti"         To:     image-sig@python.org  =
                                           =20
                    <benc@rehame.        cc:     (bcc: Kevin Cazabon/si=
enna/gig)                                  =20
                    com>                 Subject:     [Image-SIG] Compr=
ession for TIF files                       =20
                                                                       =
                                           =20
                    05/22/2001                                         =
                                           =20
                    06:04 AM                                           =
                                           =20
                                                                       =
                                           =20
                                                                       =
                                           =20

=

Hi,

Just like start by stating PIL is a fantastic product ... I have been
reading the documentation and just wanted to find if there is a workaro=
und
to not being able to write compressed tif files ... i need to publish 1=
 bit
images to a web page ... (I cannot use png files or gifs at the moment =
as
the java applet I am using to display the images does not currently sup=
port
them) ...

kind regards

Ben Cantanzariti