[Image-SIG] paletted images and PIL 1.1.1

Erik Pojar erik@neo.at
Fri, 4 May 2001 08:03:01 +0200

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding paletted images in PIL 1.1.1.

1) When I read an RGBA image (from e.g. a TIFF file) and then convert it to
8 bit indexed (adaptive), is the alpha information still there? In other
words: is the palette a table of 256 R,G,B values or a table of 256 R,G,B,A
values? (The documentation is a bit unclear in this point. However, it
suggests, that the alpha information _might_ still be available: in the P
mode there are "8-bit pixels, mapped to any other mode using a colour
palette"
If the palette does not hold alpha information: Is that planned for future
releases? Is this feature available in the "commercial support" version
(1.2)?

2) How can I read the contents of the palette. The palette pointer is always
(none). I have read some articles on how to set a palette with PIL, but not
how to read the palette.

Thanks in advance,

Erik

.......coming from Erik Pojar