[Image-SIG] Re: Animated/Transparent GIFs

Clover Andrew aclover@1value.com
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 17:22:22 +0200

Kevin Nardi <kevnardi@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Are there any python libraries out there that will encode 89a
> GIFs, or would I have to encode the file format myself?

It's not too difficult to monkey up an encoder given the fairly simple
GIF and LZW specifications. Totally hypothetically of course, one could
have made a slow pure-Python (PIL-independent) module for one's own use
that supported transparency and interlacing, and optimal compression
(it's surprising how many commercial encoders use unneccessarily high
initial bits-per-codeword settings). This theoretical module would be
fairly untested (as it would only have been written for one use) and
wouldn't support animation, but could probably be altered relatively
easily to do so.

Of course, having theoretically written it, the aggravating legal
situation with LZW wouldn't allow one to distribute it publically.

Just FYI, there.

--=20
Andrew Clover
Technical Consultant