[Image-SIG] Image quality when resizing

Chuck Esterbrook echuck@mindspring.com
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 14:24:21 -0500

At 09:19 PM 1/21/2001 +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:
>Actually I remember I got quite good results from PIL a few years ago.

I thought my PIL results looked good too until someone showed me a resize
in Photoshop after which I tried it in Paint Shop Pro and GIMP.

PIL loses to all of them.

>Are you sure that you are doing the conversion on RGB (and not palette)
>images ?

Yes, in fact, I'm putting together the samples now. The original image is a
24 bit RGB jpeg.

>You could try applying a slight blur before conversion to get nicer
>looking pictures even for NEAREST but you still need to do it in RGB space.

Even with other packages you often need to tweak the resulting image (never
tried tweaking the original), but I'd prefer to have a good resize() first
rather than having to concoct a recipe for it.

I'll post my samples shortly.

Thanks,
-Chuck