[Image-SIG] Help with ImageMagick-Python

Chris Cogdon chris@cogdon.org
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 11:28:22 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Chuck Esterbrook wrote:

> At 12:08 AM 2/8/2001 -0800, Chris Cogdon wrote:
> >Has anyone out there successfully employed python and ImageMagick? If so,
> >I'm more than happy to put the effort into getting a module running that
> >anyone can use. Perhaps even pick up maintaining Zack's project if he
> >doesn't want to do it himself.
>
> I'm definitely interested in this, but haven't had any time to put into it
> yet. I too need an imaging library and PIL currently has too many problems
> for serious use.

I had a go at starting the interface last night... I think I'll stop.
ImageMagick has one of the /worst/ APIs I've seen in my life! :)

I might go back to PIL and fix it up. Perhaps take the resampling code
from ImageMagick and port it to PIL. ALl the other problems it has should
be fairly easy to fix up.

I wrote to pythonware to see if they were interested in a contra deal: I
supply a test bed (I've got about 70,000 images on my site from 1,300
different people, with who-knows how many different programs writing
them), in exchange for access to their development code. I've yet to hear
a reply to that one.

   ("`-/")_.-'"``-._        Chris Cogdon <chris@cogdon.org>