[Image-SIG] 16 bit support

Robert Walkley Robw@crawfish.co.uk
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 13:30:30 +0100

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1314F.8ECA7570

I don't know about 16 bit images, but it would be wonderful to support
paletted formats of bmp files, there are bugs in Image.putpixel(),
Image.open() amongst others with 8 bit bmps and RLE bitmaps. I can resend
the email if anyone didn't recieve it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Harris [mailto:ThePloppies@bigpond.com]
Sent: 30 August 2001 12:06
To: python image sig
Subject: [Image-SIG] 16 bit support

Hi

Early days playing with PIL, I have added PGM support to load and save 16
bit images, is anyone interested in the patch (its only a few lines)?

A question was posted some time ago on this list about the behaviour of the
histogram method on integer images, which went unanswered. Could I
respectfully ask if there is much interest in extending PIL so that there
are working implementations of useful methods such as (for example)
histograms for modes I and F. This raises several implementation questions,
for example it becomes worthwhile caching the extreme values of the image
data, and a histogram of a mode F image would need to define bin width as
well as extremes.

A last question, I have not been able to find out anything about the IM
image format supported by the PIL. Even my prized OReilly Encyclopaedia of
graphics File Formats is silent. Could anyone enlighten me?

Tom Harris TheNOSPAMPloppies@bigpond.com
<mailto:TheNOSPAMPloppies@bigpond.com>
 [remove NOSPAM to reply]

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1314F.8ECA7570

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content="MSHTML 5.50.4522.1800" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=546043012-30082001><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>I
don't know about 16 bit images, but it would be wonderful to support paletted
formats of bmp files, there are bugs in Image.putpixel(), Image.open() amongst
others with 8 bit bmps and RLE bitmaps. I can resend the email if anyone didn't
recieve it.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Tom Harris
  [mailto:ThePloppies@bigpond.com]<BR><B>Sent:</B> 30 August 2001
  12:06<BR><B>To:</B> python image sig<BR><B>Subject:</B> [Image-SIG] 16 bit
  support<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Hi</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Early days playing with PIL, I have added PGM
  support to load and save 16 bit images, is anyone interested in the patch (its
  only a few lines)? </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>A question was posted some time ago on this
  list about the behaviour of the histogram method on integer images, which went
  unanswered. Could I respectfully ask if there is much interest in extending
  PIL so that there are working implementations of useful methods such as (for
  example) histograms for modes I and F. This raises several implementation
  questions, for example it becomes worthwhile caching the extreme values of the
  image data, and a histogram of a mode F image would need to define bin width
  as well as extremes. </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>A last question, I have not been able to find
  out anything about the IM image format supported by the PIL. Even my prized
  OReilly Encyclopaedia of graphics File Formats is silent. Could anyone
  enlighten me?</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Tom Harris <A
  href="mailto:TheNOSPAMPloppies@bigpond.com">TheNOSPAMPloppies@bigpond.com</A><BR>&nbsp;[remove
  NOSPAM to reply]</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1314F.8ECA7570--