[Image-SIG] Compiling and installing PIL on HP-UX

Christian Lundh xistan@yahoo.se
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:40:54 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I'm trying to build and install PIL on my HP-UX box. I
run ActivePython-2.1.1 which compiled and installed
almost flawless (a little bit of manual work was
needed to make it function properly). I haven't
succeded compiling and installing PIL. Is there anyone
who has done this?

I meet several problems during the process:

1) The libImaging directory and libImaging.a compiles
with no errors. It seems to work just fine too. The
problems appear when trying next step:

> make -f Makefile.pre.in boot

results in an error. "No rule to make target
/home/lib/python2.1/config/Makefile"

I have no such directory (config). Is there supposed
to be one? The make process dies after this error and
thus I don't get a Makefile and thus I can't run make
and build the PIL extension.

2) When trying to compile the sourcefiles (decode.c
etc.) using 'cc -Ae' by themselves I get these
annoying error messages:

cc: "/usr/include/sys/unistd.h", line 223: error 1711:
Inconsistent parameter list declaration for "getopt".
cc: "/usr/include/sys/unistd.h", line 239: error 1711:
Inconsistent parameter list declaration for "getpass".
cc: "/usr/include/sys/unistd.h", line 242: error 1711:
Inconsistent parameter list declaration for "rename".

If I change the compiler options to 'cc -Aa' I get
other errors:

cc: "Include/longobject.h", line 38: error 1681: Must
use +e or -Ae for long long in ANSI mode.

Doing as suggested results in:
cc: "/home/yy11510/include/zlib.h", line 757: error
1000: Unexpected symbol: "gzseek".

This seems to be some kind of imcompability in the
header files, but I'm not sure.

I would gladly receive any help I can get on this
subject. I'm starting to get very frustrated.

Thanks in advance

/Chris