[Image-SIG] Picture Streaming using PIL

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Sun, 28 May 2000 00:53:49 -0700

Hello everyone,

did ever someone try to create a pixel stream, so that a client can start
displaying the pixels as soon as they are received?

Long Version:
My client asked me to write a server client system for the Web that would
stream a picture to the client, since some modem connections of her Web
site members are still very slow. We will start with black and white TIF
files. I was thinking about writing a Java Applet as the client.
On the server side I will have Zope with an extension (Product) called
ImageServer (which I already started coding). The ImageServer would then
use PIL to convert and zoom the image to the correct size and format and
then send the stream. The ImageServer already serves images upon a regular
HTTP request.
Does anyone of you know a software package I can look at?

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter