[Image-SIG] Pixmap widget with access to pixels?

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 00:15:18 +0200

What exactly do you mean by "direct access to pixels"? If you want to
set pixels yourself from Python code there's a 99% chance that the
exercise is futile: Python is simply too slow for that. (Exception are
some vbery special cases: I can imagine that if you want to paint the
night sky after computing it you can get away with it because there's
so few pixels to paint).

Whether you have direct access to slightly higher abstractions (like
scanlines or rectangular areas) depends on the gui package used,
indeed, but unless you give a hint of what you want to do it's
dificult to answer which package is best. Your platform is also
interesting: it won't help you much if I tell you that you can access
the raw bitmap for any window from MacPython if you're not using a mac:-)