[Image-SIG] Problems with Imaging 1.0

Bryan Carlson carlson@cems.umn.edu
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 17:38:27 -0600

I am trying to build the imaging library (PIL 1.0).  I have made it through
the first 7 steps of the README build
successfully.  I'm getting stopped at step 8.  The output from the session
looks like this:

Python 1.5.2 (#1, Mar 21 2000, 15:31:37)  [GCC 2.8.1] on sunos5
>>> import _imaging
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: ld.so.1: python: fatal: libtcl8.3.so: open failed: No such file
or directory
>>> import Image

The "import Image" seems ok but as you can see it is balking at "import
_imaging".  I have installed python 1.5.2 and tcl 8.3 and tk 8.3 on my
system.  The libtcl8.3.so library is installed in /usr/local/lib.  This is
in my path and also I put in PYTHONPATH - but python
doesn't seem aware of it.  I think this is the problem - python doesn't seem
to be aware
tcl/tk - but I don't know how to rectify this.

Also, in the Setup file I changed the tcl line to:

# *** Tcl/Tk support and library location

Tk/tkImaging.c -DWITH_TKINTER -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -ltcl8.3
 -ltk8.3

Any suggestions here?

BTW, I have no feel for these programs.  Someone in our department asked me
to install Sketch which is built on python, PIL, tcl/tk, etc.   Not sure if
the above is even a problem.

Also, found it confusing to go through the build and successfully do a make
only to have to
run another make - didn't really understand this.  Just following the steps.

Bryan

Bryan Jon Carlson
Systems Administrator
Chem. Eng. & Mat. Sci. Dept.