[Image-SIG] PIL Install Woes

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 13:00:08 +0100

Jesse wrote:
> I am trying to install PIL 2b4-win32 and when I run viewer.py I get=20
> this error.

0.2b4 is over three years old or so.  where did you find it?

> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "viewer.py", line 44, in ?
>     UI(root, im).pack()
>   File "viewer.py", line 23, in __init__
>     self.image =3D ImageTk.PhotoImage(im.convert("L"))
>   File "C:\Python\Programs\Imaging-2b4\Lib\ImageTk.py", line 83, in =
__init__
>    self.paste(image)
>   File "C:\Python\Programs\Imaging-2b4\Lib\ImageTk.py", line 113, in  =
paste
>    self.__photo.tk.call("PyImagingPhoto", self.__photo, block.id)
>    TclError: invalid command name "PyImagingPhoto"
>=20
> I have tried to find instences of PyImagingPhoto in the source, but =
there=20
> are none.  I have done what it says in the install notes, and can =
import=20
> Image.

this means that _tkinter doesn't know about PIL.  if you insist
on using 0.2b4, you need a patched version of _tkinter.  the
standard version you get with Python won't work.

but it's probably better to get the 1.0 distribution from
http://www.pythonware.com/downloads.htm

(also see the "trouble using PIL on windows" thread)

</F>