[Image-SIG] RFC: Including PIL in 1.6

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 10:54:53 +0200

I've been including the PIL, img and Numeric packages with the standard
MacPython distributions for a couple of years now, and the only one that gets
some discussion on the mailing list is Numeric. This may mean that PIL and img
are virtually unused, or it may mean that they're so polished that there's no
reason to discuss them, I'm not sure.

I think that we should get some feeling for the percentage of the Python
community that wants PIL before we should start bugging Guido to include it.
And even if there is a sizeable community we should probably also watch how
the distutils people are getting along. Easily obtaining extension packages is
on their charter, if they manage to pull the trick off in a way that also
works for Mac and Windows (and also for Mac and Windows systsmes without a
compiler!) then there isn't all that much reason to bundle anymore.