[Image-SIG] bunch of pil errors

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 14:55:58 +0200

nick bower wrote:

> On a Mandrake 7.1 system, piddle wouldn't work with the PIL package
> (1.0b) already installed:
>
> File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/PIL/ImageTk.py", line 113, in
> paste
>     self.__photo.tk.call("PyImagingPhoto", self.__photo, block.id)
> TclError: invalid command name "PyImagingPhoto"

this means that Tkinter was built without PIL support.

the easiest way to solve this is to upgrade to 1.0 final or later,
since they allow you to build PIL with Tkinter support (instead
of doing it the other way around...).

> So maybe upgrading to 1.1 will fix the problem.  But it won't compile:
>
> tar zxvf Imaging-1.1...tgz
> cd Imaging-1.1/libImage
> ./configure
> make

[...]

> <all cool up to this point>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/nickb/Imaging-1.1'
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/python1.5/config/Makefile',
> needed by `sedscript'.  Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/nickb/Imaging-1.1'
> make: *** [boot] Error 2
>
> Call me a dummy, but I have no clue what this is saying.

this (probably) means that you don't have the Python development
files on your box.  look for a "developer" package for mandrake, or
rebuild Python from the source kit...

</F>