[Image-SIG] Re: PIL-compatible fonts -- 200dpi, 250dpi, 300dpi, ...and beyond

Randall Hopper aa8vb@yahoo.com
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 09:36:22 -0400

Ok.  Makes sense.

You know I was thinking last night.  XFree86 (the X distribution that's
provided with FreeBSD, Linux, etc.) now provides true-type-capable X
servers that'll use TrueType font files directly.

With these X servers, you can use TTFs just as you can conventional X
fonts.  For example, I use the Verdana TTF in Netscape under FreeBSD for
web browsing.

Since with X you can render fonts into off-screen pixmaps, I wonder if
anyone has built (or has thought of building) a Python-/PIL- back-end to
interface with the standard X font API?

...or maybe this is already supported.  (I'm just now starting to use PIL,
so I don't know.)

Thanks again for the TTF conversions, Kevin.

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb@yahoo.com

kcazabon:
 |The script to convert BDF files to PIL format is available in the standard
 |distribution (PilFont.py).  I modified it a bit to automate it for my
 |purposes though.  The 'real' trick was getting all my fonts into BDF format
 |first.
 |
 |To do that, I purchased a program called "FonMaker" that converts Windows
 |fonts (Type 1 and TT) to BDF.  It's $99 USD, available at
 |http://www.fontlab.com.  I have a HUGE library of Windows fonts, but
 |converting them will just take too much space.
 |
 |Randall Hopper:
 |>
 |> Some of these are pretty large files.  Rather than archive them, would you
 |> care to share your script so that they could be generated on the fly?  Or
 |> is that something you'd rather not do.
 |>
 |> kcazabon:
 |>  |Piers Lauder was kind enough to provide FTP space for the packages I
 |>  |created.  They're available at:
 |>  |