[Image-SIG] libtiff plugin for PIL

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 15:15:42 +0200

scott wrote:

> A quick deja search of "PIL libtiff" reveals that
> in comp.lang.python on 1998/08/27, Fredrik mentioned:
>=20
>   "We're working on an (optional) libtiff plugin for PIL,
>   but there's no set date when that will be available."
>=20
> Has any further work gone into this?

yes, but the above statement still applies...

> My use of PIL has been severely limited by its inability to handle
> RGBA tiff files.

are you using PhotoShop, and PIL opens the files as "RGBX"?
if so, it's photoshop's inability to generate valid RGBA files,
not PIL's inability to read them... ;-)

see kevin's mail for a workaround.

> Also, has any thought been given to supporting 16-bpp data?
> I currently filter my data into Numeric but would love
> to have the best of both worlds.

PIL has (undocumented, experimental, and rather limited) support for
16 bit images (see the CHANGES file for details).

there are patches out there that adds more extensive support.
searching the image-sig archives may help you find them.

</F>