[Image-SIG] Imaging-1.0 problems on IRIX 6.5

Bernhard Herzog herzog@online.de
30 Sep 1999 23:08:11 +0200

Anantha Prasad <aprasad/ne_de@fs.fed.us> writes:

> Hi:
> I installed Python1.5.2 and then tried to install Imaging-1.0 (in order
> to run sketch)

Wow!

> (platform: IRIX 6.5.3 on SGI Indigo2 EX). I run into the following
> problem:
>
> * since I don't have the JPEG, PNG and ZIP support, I commented this out
> in the Setup file...
> as per the instructions in the README file and compiled.
> No problem until:
> 	$ PYTHONPATH=.:./PIL ; export PYTHONPATH
> 	$ python
>
> 	>>> import _imaging
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: 39705:python: rld: Fatal Error: unresolvable symbol in
> ./_imaging.so: jpeg_resync_to_restart

Strange.

jpeg_resync_to_restart is only referenced in libImaging/JpegDecode.c .
The configure script in libImaging/ should have been able to tell
whether you have a working Jpeg library and should have deactivated
JpegDecode.c.

Since you were apparantly able to compile JpegDecode.c you probably have
JPEG suport after all. So just activating jpeg in Setup so that
_imaging.so is linked against the jpeg lib might help.

Alternatively you could try to expicitly deactivate jpeg by running
configure with the --without-jpeg option.

> 	>>> import Image
>
> The "import Image" worked OK.

The Image module silently catches ImportError exceptions when it tries
to import _imaging and only offers very limited services in that case,
like identifying file formats.

> The sketch program is core dumping and I am suspecting that it is
> because of this error in
> the _imageing.so

I tried to reproduce this on my Linux box by temporarily making 'import
_imaging' fail, but I can't get Sketch to dump core. All I ever got were
the 'ImportError: The _imaging C module is not installed' exceptions PIL
raises when it couldn't import _imaging.

What did you do exactly to make Sketch crash? I'd like to fix it.

--
Bernhard Herzog	  | Sketch, a drawing program for Unix
herzog@online.de  | http://www.online.de/home/sketch/