[Image-SIG] Bug in PNG decoder

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:48:44 -0400 (EDT)

Bernhard Herzog writes:
>Traceback (innermost last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>  File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py", line 161, in load
>    raise IOError, "decoder error %d when reading image file" % e
>IOError: decoder error -3 when reading image file

This looks suspiciously like something I ran into, but never solved.
A problem with zlib seems likely, because when I dropped back from
zlib1.1.3 to 1.1.1 it went away, but it never got boiled down to a
simple test case, nor did I ever determine if it was a problem with
zlib or a bug in PIL's use of zlib.  (I was leaning toward zlib, but
never proved that.)  If you can reproduce the problem, try compiling
PIL with an older version of zlib and see if the error still appears.

Destiny smells of dust and the libraries of night. He leaves no footprints. He
casts no shadow.
    -- From SANDMAN: "Season of Mists", episode 0