[Image-SIG] Frame grabber support

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 12:06:01 -0400 (EDT)

I'm now faced with writing a little C extension that would support
Alessandro Rubini's Linux driver for the PXC-200 frame grabber.  The
last time I had to support an image acquisition device, I wrote a
special SANE module.  I can just sit down and write a PXC-200 module,
but this way potential madness lies; we may end up with 187 different
little modules.

Fredrik, one of the items included in PIL Plus is simply "Device
drivers".  Is this support for frame grabbers and other image
acquisition devices?  Is there some framework for adding new drivers
without requiring an entirely different module for each device?

If not, I'll probably just do the easy thing, writing a new module for
this one specific driver and making it available on our Web site.

    "I didn't know that there was a downstairs, here."
    "There's a downstairs in everybody. That's where we live."
    -- Lyta and the youngest of the Three, in SANDMAN #58: "The Kindly Ones:2"