[Image-SIG] Docs for decoder

Georg Mischler schorsch@schorsch.com
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:23:56 -0500 (EST)

Deirdre Saoirse wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Alden Lavizzo wrote:
>
> > Is there any documentation on writing a decoder?  I am writing a decoder
> > that decompresses a special type of image and cannot find any help on how to
> > do this other than looking at source code.
>
> The Encyclopedia of Graphics File Formats is how I learned to write the
> encoders and decoders. It talks a lot about the theory of image
> compression. Likely it would help.

I assume Alden was looking for information about how to plug
the encoder and decoder routines he may already have into the
PIL framework. I stood in front of the same problem some time
ago, and wasn't able to find anything about that special matter.
On the other hand, there are a bunch of decoders coming with
PIL, and it turned out a manageable solution to take them as
examples for my own creation.

Have fun!

-schorsch

Georg Mischler  --  simulation developper  --  schorsch at schorsch.com