[Image-SIG] Re: PIL 1.0b1 finally available for download

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 12:55:39 +0100

I wrote:
>Some 30,000 lines of shining new code is now available
>via http://www.pythonware.com/downloads.htm

a few notes:

- the 16-bit support code may not work as well
as the CHANGES file says; the test program was
partially broken.  use at your own risk...

- the updated version of "pilconvert.py" didn't
make it into the distribution kit.

- the Sane code included in this release is not
the latest version; if you need that, get it from
http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/

- this release hasn't been tested with 1.5.2b, but
I see no reason why it shouldn't work. however,
you still need to link PIL to Tk the hard way even
if you have 1.5.2b...

- despite what the README says, the quantization
parts of this release has not been built on Digital
Unix.  all the other parts are fully cross tested,
though.

all the above will be fixed for 1.0 final.

in addition, we hope to get around to do some-
thing about the TIFF support in PIL before 1.0 final.
a new TIFF driver is in the works.  this may include
an optional libtiff interface.

and the documentation will be updated, of course.

if there's anything else you would like me to look
at, please tell me asap.

Cheers /F
fredrik@pythonware.com
http://www.pythonware.com