[Image-SIG] now is the time...

Barry Scott tsbarry@nortelnetworks.com
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 12:54:27 -0000

/F,
	One more bug report.

	I'm using PIL to create a GIF image with some text on it.

	The ImageFont code is taking up lots of time to do its work.

	I have started to optiomize ImageFont and hope contribute
	a speed up soon. The two things I noticed where:

	It read the font description using 256 reads of 20 bytes.
	Using 1 read of 20*256 gets a 5% speed up.

	The other thing that I'm still trying is to use struct rather them
i16
	and the lambda loop. (I made the change and made python use up
	all available memory and raise a memory exception. This is under
	FreeBSD and I'm going to investigate this weekend.)

	How fully you can include the speed up the release 1.0.

		Barry
p.s.