[Image-SIG] RPM file of PIL?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 11:02:43 +0100

Bob Klimek <robert.klimek@grc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> I just started looking at PIL and I have big plans for it. I'm running
> Red Hat Linux and I'm looking for the latest RPM release. The one I
> found was: "python-imaging-1.0b1-3.i386.rpm" which appears to be close
> to a year old and a Beta. Is a newer release out there that anyone is
> aware of?

nope.  looks like the debian folks are the only
ones who are tracking PIL tightly [1] at this time.

but on the other hand, PIL should build right out
of the box on your red hat box.   just make sure
you have the developer RPM's for Python on the
box, and the rest shouldn't be much harder than:

    ./configure
    make
    make install

and a little copying of PIL.pth and the PIL/*.py files
to a suitable place along the Python path.

</F>

http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/graphics/python-imaging.html
(matthias et al are even one step beyond the official release! ;-)