[Image-SIG] Writing a plugin

Charles G Waldman cgw@pgt.com
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 08:25:17 -0400 (EDT)

Fredrik Lundh writes:

 > We've been considering adding support for PA and LA images, but I'm
 > not sure if I want to add a 16-bit internal format, and storing 8+1 bit
 > pixels in 32 bits is a bit too wasteful for my taste (but on the other
 > hand, that's definitely better than no support at all ;-)

A 16-bit internal format would be *extremely* useful.

I do a lot of processing of X-ray images, where 256 grey levels isn't
enough.  (I'm not talking about what is displayed, but what is used
for intermediate processing).	I tend to use the 32-bit "F" format,
but a 16-bit format would be much more efficient.   I've been thinking
about adding a 16-bit format myself.  It would be great if you added
this to PIL so I don't have to!