[Image-SIG] Integration with the main distribution

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 13:51:01 +0100

>I see pil is some way starving from opal taking away the best
>energies here

Well, we do have a 0.3b (the one and only beta) up and running;
it's being tested together with Garnet #3, and will ship as soon as
G3 is out (see our site for more info).

>as a matter of fact, anytime we rebuild python's main set, we need to
>rebuild a patched _tkinter too, and _tkinter.c gets references into PIL's
>headers... Now, I think there should be a way to effectively decouple PIL
>from the main distribution (or, really, build in plugs in the latter), so
>that the standard _tkinter could be able to deal with PIL's images as soon
>as you compile the PIL modules set, instead of forcing you to build and
>install a new _tkinter anytime /F updates PIL. Any hope?

well, you don't really have to rebuild _tkinter everytime we release
a new PIL; in fact, there has been only one such change since release
0.1.  so if the README doesn't say anything else, you should be able
to just upgrade the _imaging module.

but we have a better solution coming up -- a solution where you don't
need to create a special _tkinter version at all (*).  it may not make it
into 0.3b, but hopefully to the final release.

Cheers /F
fredrik@pythonware.com
http://www.pythonware.com

*) for best performance, you should probably apply our Tk patches
anyway...