[Image-SIG] Lost JPEG decoder

Daniel Walton image_sig@opti.okdirect.com
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 19:30:02 -0500

Howdy!  I just installed PIL 0.3a4 on a FreeBSD system and am having
problems getting the JPG decoder to work.  I installed the IJG KPEG library
version 6b on the system already and it is located in
/usr/local/lib/libjpeg.a as well as /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.so.6.0 ...

The Setup file for PIL has the following line and *noconfig* is not
commented out:

_imaging _imagingmodule.c decode.c encode.c display.c path.c -IlibImaging
libImaging/libImaging.a -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -ljpeg
-I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -lz

The tests seem to run fine however when building the core library the test
fails because I don't have xv installed.

After compilation I can import _imaging and Image just fine and started to
go through the tutorial when I ran into a problem trying to resize a jpg
image.  Here's the scoup:

Python 1.5 (#3, May 15 1998, 00:31:58)  [GCC 2.6.3] on freebsd2
>>> import Image
>>> im = Image.open('airshow.jpg')
>>> im.format
'JPEG'
>>> im.size
(500, 339)
>>> im.mode
'RGB'
>>> im.resize( (128,128) )
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 507, in
resize
    self.load()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py", line 136,
in load
    d = Image._getdecoder(d, e, a, self.decoderconfig)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 160, in
_getdecoder
    raise IOError, "decoder %s not available" % d
IOError: decoder jpeg not available
>>> ls -l /usr/home/dan/pil
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
NameError: ls

Does anyone have any clues that might help out in findind my lost jpeg
decoder?  If there is any information that I can provide to help, just let
me know.  I am trying to get PIL going in order to create JPEG images for a
website.

Thanks!
Daniel Walton