[Image-SIG] initial PIL 0.3b1 compile notes.

Richard Jones richard.jones@BoM.GOV.AU
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 01:36:00 +0000

Richard Jones wrote:
> Anthony Baxter wrote:
> > Following are random notes from building PIL on Solaris 2.5.1.
>
>     I'm on HPUX 10.20.
>
> > I'd also like to see the hardcoded:
> > JPEGINCLUDE=        /usr/local/include
> > removed from Makefile.in, and made an option to configure...
>
>     Yeh, the configure and make really only seems to work (I assume) if
> the jpeg and zlib libraries are in /usr/local or in the system path
> somewhere, and therefore aren't reliant upon configure command-line
> options. For example, my configure line of:
>
>       configure --with-jpeg=/opt/jpeg-6 --with-zlib=/opt/zlib-1.1.2
>
>     doesn't work. (Note that I'm on HPUX and the configure line is also
> prefixed with CC="cc -Aa -D_HPUX_SOURCE" *blech*).

    Make that "cc +z -Aa -D_HPUX_SOURCE" in libImaging to produce PIC
objects.

    Is there any way that the configure in there could pick up stuff from
the Python install since it figures most of this platform-specific stuff
out (except of course the library location stuff).

    Also, the mmap test fails for reasons unknown to me. config.log
doesn't have any error messages. I tried compiling and running the source
from config.log (I had to remove confdefs.h since I don't know how to
recreate it) and it seemed to work fine...

    HPUX 10.20 mmap man page says:

 STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
      mmap(): AES, SVID3

    for whatever that's worth...